“Why don’t you want to move on?”
“I do.”
“Bullshit.”
“Stop pushing.”
“Stop hiding.”
Gabe sighed. “How can I move on that easily?”
“Did she want you to stay miserable?”
“What the fuck? No.”
“Then you should move on.”
“You don’t understand.”
“If it’s been a year of you acting like this. You are an idiot and are wasting everything.”
“You’re blowing this out of proportion. I’m fine. I’m here aren’t I? I’m in London, touring. I’m with my band. I’m playing again. I’m fucking doing it. I’m living.”
“Bull-fucking shit. I saw you perform. The Gabe I used to know didn’t close his eyes and dream off. He was in the moment – in the performance that instant. He put every piece of emotion, body movement and thought for the crowd he was performing for. He made connections in the present. I didn’t recognize what I saw ou there today. The musicianship and skill is still there, but the rest is gone. You’re squandering it. You may be fine, but that’s all you are. Unremarkable and fine.”
“What do you expect?” He asked, starting to lose it. “I’m holding it together the best I can!”
“If that were true, you’d be crying on stage, not a robot. You’re in a holding pattern with your emotions, and your buddies have given you the fuel to keep you up there for the past year.”
“Stop talking.”
“Get over it.”
“You’re an ass.”
“You’re a coward. A bloody coward.” She sighed, and collapsed on the couch next to him. “Gabe you’re talented. Your group is good. But I’m not going to vouch for you until I hear that you’re going to put in the effort. I’m not going to waste my time.”
Gabe realized he needed to placate her in order to get anything going, even if he didn’t agree.
“I don’t like it, but I’ll do anything for the band.”
She stood up, and extended her hand. “Get up,” she said.
He stood grabbed her hand and stood up. He grasped her soft skin in his palm. The familiar feeling ignited the tingling nerves from high school. He tried to ignore them.
“You must keep my secret, and for the next 30 days, when it comes to music, you must do what I say. In return, I’ll get you some gigs and exposure."
“This deal is a little one-sided,” Gabe argued.
“Then no deal?”
“No humiliation clause.”
“Done.”
“Deal,” Gabe said, giving her hand a shake.
“Gabe it is really good to see you.”
“Yeah, so you can order me around?”
“Of course,” she said, smiling. “Now are you ready to get this started?”
He nodded.
* * * *