The Black Keys- Brothers- "I'm Not The One" by Klucas
“Fuck her,” Jack said over his beer after Michael re-told the story. They were back in Adam’s apartment, packing up their equipment and things. They needed to prep as much as possible and quickly.
“Hey,” Michael said, in a defensive tone.
“I know you’re instinctively used to defending that woman, but man, she is sour,” Jack said. Then he scrunched up his face.
“Michael when are you going to get another internship at Goldman,” he said taking on a whiny falsetto. “Michael, when are you going to ditch your loser friends and just spend all day buying me Tiffany’s bracelets?”
“Fuck you dude!” Michael yelled, reaching for Jack.
“Lay off him Jack,” Adam said stepping in between the two of them.
“Come on you guys have to agree with me,” Jack pleaded.
Only the music of The Dark Keys rang through.
“I did hate how she’d always eat our guacamole and complain how we only had beer when she came over,” Gabe said quietly.
“See…raging bitch,” Jack said with a smile.
Michael stayed silent.
“God listen to this track,” Jack said. “I can’t believe we’re going to be opening for The Dark Keys.”
Michael couldn’t be moved. He sullenly continued to pack up the equipment.
“Jack can you grab the big case for the keyboard from the basement?” Adam asked.
Jack sighed.
“I’ll help,” Adam said. Michael knew it was to placate him, and tell him to lay off. Michael knew his moves, especially when Adam gave Gabe a 'handle this' look as they walked out.
Gabe opened his mouth.
“I don’t want to hear it,” Michael interrupted.
“I know it sucks.”
“You all hated her anyway.”
Gabe walked over and then placed a handle of Jack Daniels on the coffee table next to Michael.
“We just hated how she treated you,” he replied. “Let’s stop talking and start drinking.”
“Gabe we have so much to do before…”
“Either we do this now or we do it in London. You choose the less career-damaging path. “
Michael grabbed the handle and took a big swig straight from the bottle.
“The latest cut of ‘Shiva’ sounds good,” Gabe said. “I think the EP is ready to go.”
"Cool."
"Just cool?"
"How about it took you long enough?"
"Fuck you."
“Man this is some good music,” Michael said, ignoring the last statement. He shut his eyes, listened and swayed for a moment.
Gabe took his own swig from the bottle. “Yes it is,” he said and shut his eyes too. Michael could see him take in a huge breath.
“Gabe how are you really doing?”
“It is what it is Michael. I still see her face every time I sing, but now I see her during the healthy times.”
He took another swig then handed the bottle back to Michael.
Gabe this shit with Heather is one thing, but I don’t know if I can really talk to you about it.”
“Why?”
“It seems like nothing compared to…”
“Pain isn’t relative. Stop comparing. Just feel it. Drink. Then decide what to do. But you lost her too. We all did. We have to be honest about it.”
Michael nodded. They just sat listening to the smooth strains from the speakers that would soon find temporary homes in suitcases.
VOLUME OFF.