Gabe didn't regret his decision to watch the show from the pit instead of backstage. Being immersed in the crowd, eagerly awaiting Eve coming on stage was a treat. He ogled the crowd pressing against him. There were gorgeous women wearing tight rompers and catsuits, ripped men with glittering eye-makeup. They conversed freely between themselves, waiting for their idol to come on stage. Anticipation for Eve's set electrified the tiny, intimate crowd of super fans that had won the privilege to see her perform in a small venue. Or at least that is what he was told by a white-blonde, shirtless man with "My Body talks," written on his chest in hyper-color neon paint.. He also explained that it was a pun for Eve's first Swedish album, and declared her love for her since then.
Gabe nodded at the tall, blonde sprite and felt the sweat began to accumulate under his new designer shirt, and wished he was wearing one of his ratty Threadless T-shirts instead.
Then the music started and the crowd pushed forward and screamed. Any ounce of space in between Gabe and the person next to him, disappeared.
VOLUME ON.
Dancing On My Own by robyn
"This is a crowd!" Gabe shouted to Michael who stood to his right.
Michael didn't respond. Gabe watched as he shielded his beer from being knocked out of his hand by a large, winged costume worn by a tall, muscular black man trying to get closer to the stage.
"I'm glad you made nice with her," Michael shouted back.
Gave didn't answer. He looked up and saw Eve standing in front of microphone as the curtain raised.
Lyric: 0:18
Somebody said you got a new friend
Does she love you better than I can
There's a big black sky over my town
I know where you at, I bet she's around
Yeah I know it's stupid
But I just got to see it for myself
The lights flashed in sync to the staccato beats of the music. Eve threw her body into sync with the quick rat-a-tats of the percussion, moving her arms in a frenzy and mimicking beating a fake air drum. She tore the microphone off of its home and the long rod slipped through her fingers and fell into the crowd. Despite her error, she didn't miss a move keeping the lyrics going with the microphone in her hand. The crowd loved it and tossed the stand back to her.
Gabe was enthralled. Until the wings on the man in front of him poked him in the cheek as the he mirrored the energy of the sparkling figure on the stage. He shook it off, and started to move with the winged figure to keep an eye on Eve.
Eve amazed him. She covered the whole stage area, jumping from point to point with each lyric.
Lyric 1:33
I'm just gonna dance all night
I'm all messed up, I'm so out of line
Stilettos on broken bottles
I'm spinning around in circles
I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her
I'm right over here, why can't you see me
I'm givin' it my all, but I'm not the girl you're takin' home
I keep dancin' on my own
Then she turned her back to the audience to join her band. She sat turned again and sat down on the big bass drum, and moved her body to the keyboard solo, then jumped off and ran back to the front of the stage.
Lyric 2:45
So far away, but still so near
(The lights go on, the music dies)
But you don't see me, standing here
I just came to say goodbye
I'm in the corner watching you kiss her
OHhhhhhh
She put her hand up towards the back of the audience and heart-wrenchingly screamed as the last note rang strong through the speakers. Gabe could see the emotion, her loneliness, her anger boiling up through her lyrics then released through her body as she sang. Her energy vibrated through her into the audience causing them to join in with fist-pumping fervor. Gabe found himself with his arms around the shoulders of Michael, jumping with the audience to the words. The crowd moved together, worshipping the goddess pouring her music into their ears. Groups of dancers held hands, hugged, and grasped their chests while they sang along, but Gabe only heard Eve's sweet, crystal voice.
Lyric 4:12
I keep dancin on my own
The remaining bars flitted through the air. Eve grabbed her keyboardist's open hand and they danced to the last strains.
"Thank you!" She screamed into the crowd. "You all waited, begged or fucked your way into this show and I salute you!"