Michael looked up at the glass-plated building near Bryant Park, where the headquarters to HBO in New York City stood. He started to back on the black sidewalk leading up to the building. After a couple of minutes the face he wanted to see came out of the building. Heather, head to toe in a Tory Burch outfit, had her blonde hair blow-dried perfectly. There wasn’t a single strand out of place. Her bronzed skin color was a result of the weekends she had spent in the Hamptons and the Vineyard for the entire summer before the air had turned crisp with the fall.
“What couldn’t wait until I was done with work?” She asked crossly.
Michael ran up to her, picked her up, and spun her around happily. His tall frame easily picked up the petite-blonde well off of the ground.
“The band is leaving in two days for a tour!”
“Michael put me down,” She said haughtily.
“We’re going to Europe to tour with The Dark Keys.”
Heather sighed. "How long?"
"Five weeks."
“Michael, you know how I feel about this ‘career’ you’ve taken on. Managing your buddies’ bands is not something I really approve of. And I thought you would have gotten over it by now and got another internship at Goldman, but I was completely wrong.”
“Heather, can’t you see that we’re making it! We’re doing it!”
“Making what? Doing what? Riding around in a bus with your buddies? I need someone who wants to pursue more than that. You’ve gotten complacent Michael. Complacent and sad. Where is this going to take you?”
“Heather."
“This tour is probably for the best. I thought you’d grow up, but obviously you won’t.” She looked down at the sidewalk.
“Heather!”
“I want to end this,” she said. Her green eyes looked up at Michael. Then she turned around and started to walk back into the building.
He quickly caught up to her and grabbed her arm.
“Heather we can't end it like this. Are you kidding me? Three years and you want end this on the sidewalk outside of your office?”
“I have to think about what I need,” she said coldly. “And you’re not it.”
She shook off his hold on her arm and walked back into the building.
* * * *